I’ve been sick the last couple of days, the kind where you are just plain passed out on the couch and drooling. So when I finally managed to peel my tired and sick body off the couch, I wanted something hot and delicious. Luckily, I had a container filled with roasted mushrooms and some spare artichoke quarters languishing in a jar… so I thought… SOUP! Since I was fuzzy from sleeping 2 days straight, I put on some good music and chopped methodically while I simmered up this soup. Turns out, this is just what I needed.
Mushroom and Artichoke Soup (A little bit of this and that from the Kaprise Kitchen)
- 2 cups of roasted mushrooms (I made mine like this), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of canned artichokes (the ones I had are marinated in oil and Italian spices, but plain should be just fine), finely chopped
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pinch of cumin, paprika, and whatever other spices you want!
- 1 cup of water
- If you haven’t already, finely chop all of the ingredients.
- In a pot, heat the butter and olive oil
- Gently stir in the onion, cooking until translucent and sweet. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and artichokes.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer
- Season accordingly.
Easy Peasy! This is easily made vegetarian by just using olive oil…. I ate mine with some seared scallops, but you can add or leave out protein as you see fit!
I hope you are all staying warm! It’s been freezing out here, and much to my dismay, my dog LOVES being outside in the snow and ice.