Oh hello… I bet you almost forgot that I actually post recipes and fun stuff! But I do have this lovely LOVELY recipe for you… finally!
If you are like me and are barreling through summer studying for an exam (ahem bar and board takers) you understand how stir crazy you get sometimes. After reading through evidence (of all horrible things) for a few hours, I was falling asleep in my chair. In attempt to perk up and distract myself from the fluffy pillows on my bed, I whipped up these roasted nuts, lightly spiced and crunchy sweet. I made them first with almonds, and then with macadamia nuts. I far prefer the macadamia nuts because of the contrast between the creaminess of the nut and the crunch of the coating. However, feel free to make these with any type of nut! The nuts end up just a bit coated in sugar and a bit crusted in coconut. Some of the coconut just caramelizes with the sugar and you get these delicious bites of spiced coconut. So… ON TO THE RECIPE!
The measurements are not exact, but this is what you need:
- 1/2 cup of flaked, unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups of macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin*
- A sprinkle of paprika and red peper powder*
- Lightly toast the coconut flakes. Stir in the spices and pour into a separate plate.
- In the same pan, sprinkle the sugar evenly over the surface and allow it to melt. Once the sugar has melted, you must work quickly so that it does not burn!
- Remove the pan from the flame and toss the macadamia nuts to coat in the sugar.
- Then quickly sprinkle the coconut mixture evenly over the tops of the glazed nuts and stir rapidly
- Quickly remove the mixture to a large, flat plate and cool.
- Store after completely cooled
* If you like a spicier nut, feel free to up the quantities of these spices. You could even crumble a little rosemary in here!